The Institute for Ultra-Scale Visualization has a dynamic outreach and education program. This program will be used to develop active collaborations with SciDAC Science Application teams and DOE laboratories as well as industry and researchers from overseas. For example, one mission brings leading researchers in high-performance computing and visualization together with simulation scientists to focus on key problems in coupling parallel visualization into simulations. Another example makes recommendations to industry for revising hardware and software architectures and protocols to support large-scale visualization calculations. The education component is responsible for organizing tutorials, benchmarking software and hardware, and organizing summer training for students.
- Siggraph 2007 tutorial: GPGPU: General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware
- The kick-off outreach event is the 1st Workshop on Ultra-Scale Visualization, SC06
- The SC06 Tutorial on General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware.
- Feature Extraction and Tracking Workshop (FET '07), August 1-2, UC Davis
- Meeting the Scientists, Panel, Visualization 2007 Conference
- 2nd Workshop on Ultra-Scale Visualization, SC07
- SC07 tutorial: High Performance Computing on GPUs with CUDA
- Mini-Symposium on Ultra-Scale Parallel Visualization, SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, March 14, 2008
- Tutorial: Advanced ParaView Visualization, IEEE Visualizatoin 2008 Conference, October 19
- Tutorial: Perception-Driven Techniques for Effective Visualization of Large Volume Data, IEEE Visualizatoin 2008 Conference, October 19
- 3rd Ultrascale Visualization Workshop, SC08 Conference, November 16,2008
- Tutorial: Advanced ParaView Visualization, IEEE Visualizatoin 2009 Conference, October 13
- Tutorial: Multivariate Temporal Features in Scientific Data, IEEE Visualizatoin 2009 Conference, October 13
- 4th Ultrascale Visualization Workshop, SC09 Conference, November 16,2009
For wide exposure and dissemination and in seeking feedback for improvement, the Institute for Ultra-Scale Visualization provides prototype visualization tools are provided to the user community beyond SciDAC projects. Also, simulation datasets and benchmark data is provided to the research community to encourage greater participation in the development and assessment of new visualization technologies.